Thursday, January 11, 2007

Da Bum Dibacle; Unfortunate OR Unwilling?

As I was driving in my car yesterday to go buy lunch on my break from my job at NextStudent, I noticed a homeless man sitting on the street corner with his dog. He was holding a sign that read "Homeless but still smiling, please help!"

I couldn't help but immediately feel compelled to pull over and help considering all of the things I can be fortunate for. I thought it over for a split second while in traffic debating whether it would help or just make matters worse. On the one hand, many think that we should automatically throw 'dollars' at the situation. Well, what does that accomplish? Nothing. The homeless man is just going to go buy alcohol and not use it for what could possibly get him out of the hole his been stuck in for so long. Can you really blame him though? What would you do if you had been homeless for months on end, stuck in severe depression, no food, no clothes, and no job skills. Talking this subject over with some friends, some realize they already spend their money on alcohol. It's a normal daily occurance to go home after work and grab a beer out of the fridge. Is that so different from what the homeless guy will most likely do? Not so much.

Not that I am a major social reformer, but I did learn a few things from my education at Catawba College in Salisbury, NC. One of my courses was Social Problems where we discussed issues that plauge societies today. One of those focused specifically on poverty and homeless. I was horrified when I realized just how hard it is for those living on minimum wage to break above the poverty line. It is absolutely discraceful that citizens in this country can work 40 hours a week and not afford suitable housing, food for their family, and other basic necessities. In general, the minumum wages set in this country further worsen an individuals attempt to overcome poverty.

I really think that lending a helping hand is MY moral obligation. With that said, when I saw the man on the corner the other day I felt like it would be more beneficial to his situation if I could take him to the store and buy him necessities rather than just give him money. That would ensure that the money was being used in as direct an positive impact on his life. After discussing with friends, they insured me that a woman should never do that simply do to the safety factor. I can remember when I was still living back East and an ex and I went out to Bucca di Beppo (love that place) in D.C. for dinner. Well as you know, there are several homeless in D.C. and the restaurant serves extreme portions so we had a ton left over. Before we arrived I spotted a homeless man on the street and I desperately wanted to give help. Well me and my ex-boyfriend decided as we were leaving that we would stop and give the man the food. We made our way back and he announced that I was not allowed to get out of the car. Well needless to say, the guy wasn't there but it was a good thought.

There are groups out there that are targeting solutions specifically for this social issue. Check out this article about how a website plans to solve poverty. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on what you view is the best solution to such a major issue.

No comments: